I would like flood information


Flood Information

During the winter, the District supplies free sand and burlap bags to residents in the greater Vallejo area, and provides instructions in filling and stacking bags. Visit our Sandbag Page here.

You can help prevent or reduce damage caused by flooding by securing motor oil, antifreeze, and household chemicals on high enclosed shelves. Landscape with native plants that resist soil erosion. Raise your washer, dryer, and other equipment that uses electricity in your garage above the base flood elevation. If you have a basement, install flood shields or barriers above the base flood elevation.

What is a Base Flood Elevation?

To help determine your flood risk, consider the elevation of your home compared to the street level. If your home was build after the establishment of the Federal Flood Insurance Program thirty years ago, its flood elevation is most likely above the flood stage water level. If you home is older, this may not be the case. Also, if you have converted a basement or garage into a living space, it may be subject to flooding.

Know Your Flood Potential

If you live in a low-lying area, there may be a high risk of flooding. Visit the Bay Area Flood Maps to find out if your property is in a flood zone. Properties in FEMA-designated flood zones may require flood insurance. If your insuror requires a certification form, call the City of Vallejo's Public Works Department at (707) 648-5251.

Homes outside of floodplains can sometimes be in danger of flooding as well. Residents, whether or not they live in a floodplain, should be familiar with flood prevention.

FEMA's Map Service Center provides detailed information on flood zones throughout the country.

Can I Prevent Flooding?

Yes! Whether you live in urban or rural areas, taking precautionary measures can help prevent flood damage during the rainy season. Clean out gutters and downspouts, and keep trash and leaves out of street gutters to prevent clogging storm drains. Keep the drainage
system (creeks and culverts) on your property clear of debris. Clear dead trees that may block a drainage system. Even during storms, you can lower the risk of flooding by raking leaves that are clogging a storm drain.

The District's Flood Control Role

The District’s primary role in flood control is to protect lives and property from the effects of flooding by comprehensive and coordinated flood prevention planning. The District evaluates flood risk and implements flood control measures such as requiring new development to construct detention basins. We plan, design, and construct flood control channels, storm drains, pump stations and other drainage-related facilities; maintain existing flood control facilities; develop and implement master plans for selected areas; provide technical support and information on flood control for our community; and review proposed development projects to see that they meet District standards.

To learn more about how to protect your family and property before and during emergencies, visit our Preparing For Disasters page.

Backup Prevention Devices

To protect property from sewer overflows, many houses have an overflow prevention device that acts like a pressure cooker valve. If a blockage occurs in the pipes, the device is designed to overflow outside the house.

We recommend that you check to see what kind of sewer overflow device you have. If you do not have one, you may be eligible for our Upper Lateral Program.

An overflow device is usually found in the front yard within five feet of the foundation. It is often a cast iron or clay pipe, 4” in diameter. If your sewer overflow device looks like a plastic or aluminum mushroom, you are in good shape.

Newer homes may have concrete boxes that cover the device. If your device is in a concrete box, lift the lid of the box.

If your device looks like a pipe that has a cap screwed on tightly, we recommend unscrewing the cap and simply resting it on top of the pipe. This will allow a potential backup to flow outside the house. If the cap is secured, however, the sewer backup can be pushed back into the house, overflowing toilets and sinks. If there is no device near your house, check inside the sewer box in your sidewalk. If that cap is screwed down, call the District so we can replace it with a proper device.

If you have questions, concerns, or can’t find your sewer overflow device, give us a call at (707) 644-8949. We’ll have a customer service tech come by your house and give you a free evaluation.

Local Hazard Mitigation Plan

The District's most recent Local Hazard Mitigation Plan can be found here.