You can help prevent or reduce damage caused by flooding by doing the following:
· Clean out gutter downspouts.
· Keep trash and leaves out of gutters to prevent clogging storm drains.
· Keep the drainage system (creeks and culverts) on your property clear of debris.
· Clear dead trees that may block a drainage system.
· Secure motor oil, antifreeze, and household chemicals on high, enclosed shelves.
· Landscape with native plants that resist soil erosion.
· Raise your washer, dryer and other equipment that uses electricity in your garage above the base flood elevation. If you have a basement, install flood shields or barriers above the base flood elevation. Learn more about base flood elevations here.
· Keep your emergency supplies, including food, water, prescriptions and other needs on shelves well above your base flood elevation.